Take it from an English professor with 30 years of experience: these tips work. (Many of them are also helpful for professional writing!)
Ten Tips for Successful Essays
- Before you start writing, review the directions from your instructor.
- Start working on your essay well before the due date.
- Freewrite to generate ideas before you begin drafting.
- Plan your essay carefully.
- Select a keyword that’s central to the point you’re making.
- Build your thesis (main point) around the keyword you selected.
- Take advantage of your instructor’s email, office phone, or office hours when you need help.
- Use your computer’s spellchecker and grammar checker.
- Use the free tutoring and other services offered by your school or college.
- Before submitting your essay, ask a friend or family member to read it and give you feedback.
Videos, PowerPoints, and other aids for writing effective essays are posted free at www.PlanMyPaper.com.